Published on 12 January 2011
- Code: PART-GR-RES-20
- Publication Date: 12 January 2011
- Country: GREECE
- Organization type: Research Center
- Organization description: NAtional Contact Point for ENERGY in Greece.
Partner Search details
- Programme / theme: Energy
- Topic: ENERGY 2011-2 Part 2 Activity 4: RENEWABLE FOR HEATING AND COOLING.
- Call title / Funding scheme:
- Call deadline: 15/03/2011
- Project Title / Acronym: Heat pump for solar thermal system
- Project Description: A Greek energy engineer has designed a novel method, a modified absorption heat pump (ahp) for cooling and heating applications, so that the efficiency may be in the order of COP =5. It is a high performing solar thermal system. The engineer is looking for partners to join the FP7- THEME 5, ENERGY 2011-2 Part 2 Activity 4: RENEWABLE FOR HEATING AND COOLING.
An absorption heat pump utilizes heat instead of electric compressor for cooling and heating purposes. The refrigerant is absorbed by an electrolyte solution, compressed as a liquid to a higher pressure and next the refrigerant is vaporized from the solution. The efficiency of a conventional single stage a.h.p. is COP=O.7 for cooling and COP=1.6 for heating.
In the present invention a cycle modification has been designed so that the efficiency is much higher approaching a COP of 5 or more. The temperature rise between cooling and heating side is in the range of 30 C. Low/medium temperature heat sources like solar and rejected heat are used. The apparatus is more complicated. Existing apparatus may be adjusted.
The invention is in the elementary stage. The work to be done includes the proper electrolyte solution selection and its thermodynamic properties as well as the equipments design.
- Partner Sougth / Expertise required: Research work has to be done on high concentration electrolyte solutions using water or any other inorganic or organic solvent convenient for cooling applications. Experimental measurements of activity may be needed. Experience in Absorber-Generator design is useful.
The proposal mainly applies to absorption heat pump design and construction companies, being interested in developing the idea.
Information on the call:
Title of the challenge: Low/Medium temperature solar thermal energy
Call title: FP7-Energy-2011-2 activity4.1 and 4.5
Dead line: April 2011